Thursday, October 16, 2008

Quite the Scare....

I went to take out our garbage tonight, since our garbage man comes at 6:30 in the morning. Ander can now open all doors, so if the garage door is open, he will go out into the garage and run away from me. I thought that i had a house key on my car key ring, so i locked the garage door so Ander could not run out, while i was taking the garbage out. Once i came back to open the door, i noticed i did not have a house key and all of my other doors were bolted locked. Ander was locked in the house, screaming at the top of his lungs terrified because he knew i could not get back in to him. I tried to talk to him to see if he could unlock the door, but he was too hysterical to listen and he doesn't know how to figure that out yet. So, i decided to run to my neighbors house, even though i thought there was not much they could for me, since i knew all my doors and windows were locked and Chuck is the only one with a spare key and he is in Denver. My neighbors came over and tried to unlock my garage door with their key, since they are similar keys and that did not work and then i thought, "Chuck may have left our bathroom window unlatched". So i told my neighbor and they tried the window and lo and behold, it OPENED! I was so relieved, i thought i would for sure have to call a locksmith and have to leave my little guy in the house screaming for hours. Thank goodness for my neighbor for helping me out. Ander was so traumatized, i had to hold and cuddle him the rest of the night, poor kid, i felt soooo bad! So i will definitely never be locking Ander in the house again, lesson learned.

8 comments:

Haskins said...

Suz-- that is so scary!! I am so sorry you must of been so scared. Poor Ander!!! My husband did something like that he locked our kids in the car and McKay was screaming he had to call the cops to unlock the door they were stuck for at least an hour!! At least you had your good neighbor to be there to help you!

Laura W said...

Oh gosh, I ALMOST did that exact thing once. The only difference was that Ari followed me outside, so we were both locked out, tv on inside, no shoes, no jackets, etc. I kept thinking how I would have freaked out if Ari had been inside! So glad you got back in quick!

jen said...

That stinks. Poor little guy and poor little you. Sorry. I'm glad the window wasn't locked. That was cute when Ander and Camden played together today. I think Ander thinks Camden is a bit crazy.

Melanie Barkley said...

I'm constantly locking myself out of things, my house, my car. I'm so glad you made it in okay.

THE PRINCE FAMILY said...

That is so scarey!!!!! I hate when stuff like that happens. But I am so glad that you are both okay and that a window was open! Poor little Ander. He is such a cutie!!

jenjamin said...

Oh My.... those are frantic moments. that happened to me once when my twins we babies.... 2 alone unsupervised was not only traumatic but very mischievous too.

Becky said...

Scary. I have had dreams about locking Apollo in a hot car! Now I'm thinking my dreams will be about locking my child in!

Robyn Parker said...

Thank goodness that window was unlocked! I would have freaked out if that had happened to me. Glad you were able to get back into the house.